- About Us
- Working in NZ
- moving to NZ
- living in NZ
- job search
Driving – Key Points for Overseas Drivers and New Residents
• You are allowed to drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months using either an International Driving Permit or your current overseas driving licence. After that you will need to get a New Zealand driving licence.
• If your licence is not in English, you should get an International Driving Permit or bring an official, English translation of your licence with you. Further licensing details are available from the Land Transport Safety Authority.
• Vehicles drive on the left side of the road.
• The urban speed limit is usually 50 kph (31 mph). Elsewhere it’s usually 100 kph (62 mph).
Driving Times between the Main Cities
From Christchurch to:
Auckland: 14hrs 20mins plus ferry crossing* from Picton to Wellington
Blenheim: 4hrs 35mins
Nelson: 6hrs 20mins
Queenstown: 7hrs 15mins
Wellington: 5hrs plus ferry crossing* from Picton to Wellington
* Ferry crossing time is normally 3hrs
You can also get more information at www.nzta.govt.nz
© Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.
In association with HBO International Manpower Services